Learn To Dive
Youngsters aged between 6 to 11 years old are making a splash at Corby East Midlands International Pool and those that want to dive right in can sign up now. This Corby Borough Council run programme has been designed to provide the first layer of the Athlete Pathway in Diving. Guiding and developing children’s confidence and ability to try new skills in a safe and rewarding environment. We offer lessons for completely new beginners, from the age of 6 years+ but they have to be confident swimmers in deep water. The programme encourages agility, co-ordination and balance, and uses children’s positive energy to increase their awareness once in the water. For children starting diving lessons, they will join a Level-1 class, which will be about the basics of diving. They can then work through all the stages till Level-7 on the ASA awards scheme and each level is composed of 6/7 skills/dives. The skills get more complex every time a new level is achieved.
We then offer Teen Diving Lessons. These lessons are made up of 3 levels, beginner, intermediate and advanced. So if you have just finished Level-7, you can move up into one of these groups, or if you are a teen and want to try diving you can start off as a beginner and work your way up!
We also offer Adult Diving Lessons, which are also made up of the 3 levels; beginner, intermediate and advanced. Although there is no set award scheme for the lessons a minimum set of dives are required to be performed to competent level before moving into the Intermediate or advanced level lesson.
Divers attending these lessons may be invited at the coaches discretion to join Corby Steel Diving Club. The Club is the competitive outlet for the Corby Borough Council Diving Development Scheme and provides divers in the program with an avenue to compete. The club caters for divers on the first step of the competition ladder through to Senior International level. Corby Steel Diving Club is committed to promoting a high quality club which encourages all athletes to reach their greatest potential.
Diving Lessons Information
Children's lessons (6 - 11 years)
Lessons are made up of ASA Levels 1 - 7
Each level is a combination of awards from the ASA diving awards scheme.
Lessons are made up of 3 levels (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced). Each level is a combination of awards from the ASA diving awards scheme
Lessons are made up of 3 levels (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced).
Bookings / Assessments Procedure
Lessons continue all year round including all school holidays. Lessons will not be held on Bank Holidays or during special events. Advanced notifications of cancelled lessons will be communicated 2 weeks prior to the event. Once your child has been offered a place in diving lessons they will continue on the lesson programme until such time that payment is withdrawn.
- Payment can be made monthly by direct debit or at reception 4 times a year.
- Children are continually assessed and moved up when they achieve the required standard.
- You will be informed by email or telephone when your child has moved up. A change of class day or time may be required.
- You can request to be put on a waiting list for a specific class day/time/instructor.
- Children leaving the programme will need to return to the waiting list.
Please be aware that we do not expect divers to pass their assessment every time. It may take a few attempts before achieving the pass level.
A waiting list is in operation for all lessons, an application form can be collected from reception or printed off the website www.corby.gov.uk/corbypool. Once your name is on the waiting list we will email or phone you when we can offer you a place, we aim to give 7 days notice. You will be given two opportunities to accept a place after which your application will be removed from the waiting list. Classes take place once a week and run continually throughout the year.
- Children should arrive on poolside 5 minutes prior to their lesson.
- Lockers are available in the pool changing area, a wristband should be collected from reception for a £1.00 returnable deposit. Clothes should not be left in the changing cubicles.
- Toilets are located in the changing area, we advise children to use the toilet prior to their lesson as instructors cannot accompany them.
- Pre-swim showers are located as you walk onto poolside, we request all attendees shower prior to their lessons. Children using the showers after their lesson are asked to use the cubicle showers to help ease congestion in this area.
- Children should make their way to the diving area, teachers will collect them for their lessons from there.
- A parent/guardian must stay within the building during diving lessons if the child is under 8 years of age.
- Swimming trunks/shorts above the knee or one piece swimsuit preferred. No goggles.
- Every effort is made to offer continuity of instructor throught the course, however this is not guaranteed.
- If children wish to enter the water prior to their lesson a separate payment must be made. A child under 8 must be accompanied in the water by an adult.
- Spectators are asked to watch from the balcony area and are not permitted onto poolside.
- Pushchairs are not permitted on poolside. Pushchairs can be left in the lockable storage at reception. Younger siblings must remain under strict control.
- Spectators are not permitted to stand in the shower area.
Payment can be made monthly by direct debit (helping to spread the cost) or cash payment can be made at reception 4 times a year. Direct debits will be collected on or after the 1st of every month. Terms and conditions will apply for both methods of payment.
The booking and assessment procedure will allow children to progress at their own pace and move up when they are ready. The payment scheme will spread the cost throughout the year and should ease congestion at reception and on the telephone, previously caused on re-booking weeks.
Pricing and Timetable
Refunds / Credits
- Lessons must be paid in full before the block commences or by monthly direct debit.
- Refunds are not available on the diving lesson scheme.
- Credits will not be given for lessons missed due to holidays, minor illness or non-attendance.
- Lessons missed due to serious illness or injury will be assessed and the merits of each case will be treated individually. A decision will be made by the aquatics coordinator.
- Anyone wishing to make a claim should do so in writing on the appropriate form within 7 days of the missed lesson, specifying the reason for the claim. A doctor's note or letter or some other form of documentation will be required.
- The outcome of any claim will be communicated in writing or via email.
- If you wish to appeal against any decision made, this should be made in writing within 28 days of the decision.
Corby pool reserve the right to cancel lessons due to programme changes.
Corby pool reserve the right to close the facility for the purpose of programme changes, (maximum 7 special events and 8 Bank Holidays per year) carrying out repairs, refurbishments and maintenance, whether routine or extraordinary in nature.
Should any closure extend beyond 30 days or if the facility is closed for these reasons for more than 30 days in a calendar year, we will refund you an appropriate amount of the subscription fee for the year.
- Your child will be able to gain certificates throughout their diving lessons.
- Instructors will issue a certificate request form when a level is completed.
- Payment for certificates will be needed befor the certificate will be processed.
- Certificate + Badge. For pricing please contact the Corby Pool reception or ask the instructor.
- All certificates should be collected from reception.
- Please keep receipt for proof of purchase.